Monday, June 1, 2015

Sweet pinecone owl & hedgehog craft!

I know, it seems a little out of season, but I adore owls & hedgehog's so thought I would pass along this really cute craft!! have fun!

DIY: pinecone owl & hedgehog


They are SUPER simple to make.
Supplies:
•large pinecones
•felt (5 colors)
•googly eyes (I used 1/2" round eyes)
•scissors
•hot glue gun
• stapler (or tacky glue)

First, cut out your felt. I don't have any patterns for you to print. I need to figure out how
 to do that.
I chose 5 colors of felt. You can mix up the colors any way you want, but here are the 
colors I chose:
rust for 2 wings in a leaf-ish shape (2 3/4" long/1 1/4" at widest point)
orange for the beak (3/4" wide x 7/8" tall)
dark brown for the face/ears (2 3/4" wide x 1 1/2" tall at highest point)
turquoise for 2 large eye circles (1 1/4" round)
mustard for 2 small eye circles (7/8" round)

(Your measurements may differ, depending on pinecone size & your preference, 
but I've listed them anyway, as a guideline.)
The shapes are so forgiving, & it doesn't have to be perfect. 
Just get out your scissors & cut!

Snip the largest eye circles all the way around, as pictured.

Next, attach the beak to the face with hot glue.

Now, stack the pieces in this order & use a stapler to keep it all together. (I have 25 minutes
 to do this craft with a handful of 9 year olds. I was trying to think of the quickest way to 
assemble without having to use glue.) And, honestly, my stapler did give me an attitude. 
So, if you're not pressed for time, use the hot glue gun!

Attach the googly eyes with hot glue. TIP: apply the hot glue to the felt first, & then place 
the googly eyes on top of the glue. The tip of the hot glue gun can melt the back of 
the googly eyes & cause a googly mess.

Finally, attach the face & wings to the pinecone with more hot glue.


I decided the owl needed some woodland friends, so I crafted up these hedgehogs. For 
the hedgies, you only need 2 colors of felt: a little circular black nose + the color you 
choose for the face, cut in the shape of a triangle with the corners rounded-ish. 
The googly eyes are 1/4" round.
Hot glue the pieces to the face, & then glue the face to the pinecone.
Note: the pinecone is laid on its side, with the "pointy" end serving as the base for the face.


http://www.whimsy-love.com/2013/10/diy-pinecone-owl-hedgehog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment