Sunday, October 4, 2015

Links & information on provincial funding- DSP, Autism funding, APSEA

Another great online chat the other night!! Thought I would post a few links that we had talked about, just to make sure everyone has the information, if you are not already receiving these, please check them out. 


Disability Support Program (DSP)
Disability Support Program
The Disability Support Program (DSP) is the first program in Canada to distinguish disability-specific support from income support. The purpose of DSP is to assist with personal planning and to help meet the needs related to an individual's disability. These supports are needs-based, and they are not intended to provide income. For more information, see the Disability Support Program Policy Manual.

Supports are provided in three main areas: child disability supports, adult disability supports, and employment and vocational supports.

Supports can take a number of different forms, including support for respite care, community living and community participation supports, technical aids and other devices and family support programs.
If you are not currently receiving DSP support, contact one of the offices in your area, and make an appointment to apply.

Here's the link for more info:

Here is the link to the actual DSP handbook, it explains who qualifies, what it covers, and how to apply, as well as what to expect at the first appointment. Have a look.


Autism funding that can happen for Preschoolers/ and school aged children 

The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (herein referred to as ‘the Department’) provides two different types of funding to support children with Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Preschool Autism Funding is provided for parents or licensed early childhood centres to help with the employment of an Autism Assistant for preschool children with Autism who receive Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI) through the Early Years Autism Service.

School-age Autism Funding is provided for home or community-based supports outside of school hours for school-age children with Autism. The funding can be used by parents or designated agencies to offset the costs of employing a) a one-to-one tutor in the home to supplement the child’s school program and minimize regression of academic and social skills during school breaks and summer months, or b) a one-to-one aide for group activities in the community, when an aide is required to enable participation.

For more information, please contact: Autism Funding Administrator Department of Education and Early Childhood Development Holman Centre, 250 Water Street, Suite 101 Summerside, PE C1N 1B6 Telephone: (902) 438-4854 Toll-free: 1-888-482-5330 Facsimile: (902) 438-4874 Email:

Here is the link to the Autism funding guidelines, it explains how it works, and how to apply, depending on your child's age- whether they are preschoolers or school aged.


APSEA, was also discussed, so wanted to put that information on here.
Services for Students who are Blind or Visually Impaired
The PEI Department of Education and Early Childhood Development supports the philosophy of inclusion of students who are blind or visually impaired with their peers who are sighted in their community schools.
Services provided through the inter-provincial agency, APSEA, the Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority, make it possible for each child to receive an appropriate educational program designed to meet the student's individual needs and assist schools in providing the necessary adaptations required by the student.
A student who is diagnosed legally blind or partially sighted by a medical practitioner or optometrist is eligible for APSEA service. Legally blind is defined as having a corrected visual acuity of 6/60, (20/200), or less in the better eye, or a visual field of no more than 20 degrees. Partially sighted is defined as having a corrected acuity of 6/24, (20/70) or less in the better eye.
In Prince Edward Island, APSEA staff include itinerant teachers who offer direct support to students in inclusive settings, a preschool specialist, an orientation and mobility instructor who monitors travel training in the province, and a transition facilitator who assists students and families in the transition from school to adult life.
The majority of these services are provided to students in their local communities, however, requests can be made for 'Center Based Services' which may include short term programming and/or assessment at the APSEA Center in Halifax.
For further information, please contact: 
Myretta Farrell,
PEI Provincial Supervisor for Students who are Blind or Visually Impaired, APSEA
c/o Itinerant Services,
3 Brighton Road
Charlottetown, PEI
C1A 8T6
Phone: 902-368-4694
Fax: 902-620-3973

No comments:

Post a Comment